UNDP in Copenhagen is seeking a new Information Communications Technology (ICT) Green Energy Intern08-05-2015
The Global ICT Advisory (GIA) section oversees Country Office ICT advisory services, including assisting offices with ICT initiatives, providing guidance for ICT strategic direction, promoting and monitoring corporate policies and standards, capacity building, providing support to crisis countries and harmonization of ICT practices. It consists of the Global ICT Advisor, five specialists, and a network of some 166 ICT managers worldwide.
The GIA can offer an interesting and versatile internship placement in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. The GIA is a dynamic team working in an informal and good atmosphere, encouraging creativity, learning opportunities and new initiatives. As an intern you will become an integral part of the team. Your will be supported and guided by ICT experts and have a dedicated coach. You will be given responsibilities and opportunities that have a global and direct impact on the development efforts of the international community.
You will be a part of the global network where you will get specific tasks and responsibilities. You will gain first-hand experience and understanding of the decision making processes in one of the world’s biggest multilateral organizations. It is expected that you will show initiative and apply your talent to implement new ICT solutions in a practical manner.
Summary of key activities:
All work and activities have to comply with ISO 9001 standard as defined in the GIA Quality Manual.
The main focus of your internship will be in the promotion and implementation of solar energy for UNDP country offices and is conducted in cooperation between the GIA and Procurement Support Office.
- Assistance with the solar energy process over its lifetime, i.e.
o Handling of requests and data collection
o Assessment of solar potential and case building
o Assistance with vendor responses and funding
o Follow-Up, evaluation, troubleshooting and monitoring.
- Promotion of solar systems/green energy solutions to stakeholders;
- Market research, and engagement with solar/green energy companies;
- Development of new green energy solutions for COs;
- Procurement, e.g. drafts for Performance Based Service (PBS) contracts or Long term Agreements (LTAs);
While the internship focusses on green energy, further tasks could include:
- Assist in developing of Knowledge Management (KM) platform;
- Taking minutes and chairing the weekly meetings with UNDP country offices around the world;
- Assist the GIA in promoting the overall ICT strategic framework and work plan pertaining to the minimum ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions;
- Work with Microsoft SharePoint applications to share information with Country Offices;
- Assist GIA with owned assets management and reporting;
- Other ad hoc duties.
Profile of the best candidate
Technical skills in ICT, inclusive of:
- A good understanding of the engineering aspects (electrical & electronic in particular) of energy generation, distribution and storage;
- A good understanding of the financial aspects of renewable energy systems, and experience with feasibility studies;
- Experience with modelling of energy systems using MS Excel;
- Knowledge of MS office products and Exchange messaging platform;
- SharePoint knowledge, preferably 2010;
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices;
- Work with databases and reports.
Competencies, skills and attitudes of best candidate:
- Interested in working in an international organization;
- Able to communicate effectively with the ability to work independently and in a team;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- You are currently in the process of completing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the field of business or engineering, with a focus on energy systems.
- The internship is unpaid. However, it offers an exciting modern work environment in the UN City with first-class facilities in a great location. It also provides good experience, knowledge of the United Nations and a network for your future professional life.
- You are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for your education programme.
- The intern will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel, VISA, accommodation etc.
Interviews will take place mid-June. CV and a short motivation letter can be sent to: email@example.com Please direct any questions regarding the internship to the same email address.