UNDP in Copenhagen is seeking a new Information Communications Technology (ICT) Engineer Intern08-05-2015
The Global ICT Advisory (GIA) section oversees Country Office ICT advisory services, including assisting offices with ICT initiatives, providing guidance for ICT strategic direction, promoting and monitoring corporate policies and standards, capacity building, providing support to crisis countries and harmonization of ICT practices. It consists of the Global ICT Advisor (GIA), five specialists, and a network of some 166 ICT managers worldwide.
The GIA can offer an interesting and versatile internship placement in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. The GIA is a dynamic team working in an informal and good atmosphere, encouraging creativity, learning opportunities and new initiatives. As an intern you will become an integral part of the team. Your will be supported and guided by ICT experts and have a dedicated coach. You will be given responsibilities and opportunities that have a global and direct impact on the development efforts of the international community.
You will be a part of the global network where you will get specific tasks and responsibilities. You will gain first-hand experience and understanding of the decision making processes in one of the world’s biggest multilateral organizations. It is expected that you will show initiative and apply your talent to implement new ICT solutions in a practical manner.
Summary of key activities:
All work and activities have to comply with ISO 9001 standard as defined in the GIA Quality Manual. The ICT Engineer Intern will be responsible for development of providing ICT support to the Country Offices. It includes developing, designing and implementing solutions in the following areas:
- Effective ICT solutions for the Country Office worldwide: One UN ICT Office-in-a-Box
- WAN and ISP Connectivity (Satellite, fiber optic link, etc.);
- MAN architecture (WiMAX, wireless point-to-point, fiber optic ring, etc.);
- Network Architecture;
- Data Centre architecture;
- Unified communication system;
- Country Office Intranet based on SharePoint
- Service management models including ITIL Best Practice and a Service Desk, Service Catalogue;
Profile of the best candidate
Technical skills in ICT, inclusive of:
- Network design (TCP/IP, firewall, routing/switching, LAN, WIFI, etc.);
- Network management and administration using Cisco products;
- Unified communication (voice over IP technologies, Microsoft Exchange messaging platform, Cisco Call managers and etc.);
- Network Monitoring systems (SNMP based) such as Orion Solarwinds;
- Microsoft collaboration and productivity Tools: Lync, SharePoint, O365, Azure;
- Google Apps
Competencies, skills and attitudes:
- Interested in working in an international organization;
- Able to communicate effectively with the ability to work independently and in a team;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Enjoys sharing knowledge and experience.
- You are currently in the process of completing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the field of telecommunications, computer science or equivalent.
- The internship is unpaid. However, it offers an exciting modern work environment in the UN -City with first-class facilities in a great location. It also provides good experience, knowledge of the United Nations and a network for your future professional life.
- You are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for your education programme.
- The intern will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel, VISA, accommodation etc.
Interviews will take place mid-June. CV and a short motivation letter can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please direct any questions regarding the internship to the same email address.