Internship at the UN City Public Diplomacy and Communications OfficeNov 22, 2013
Internships offer a small group of outstanding graduate-level students the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UN’s work. They are designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical cooperation, but also complement other international studies, including law. This internship poses a unique opportunity to help establish a new office and work with both strategic and executive communications.
Background of Internship
UN City Copenhagen opened in spring 2013, and is a LEED-certified office building in Nordhavn. In 2014, it will house 1250 UN staff members from eight different UN organizations. The UN City Public Diplomacy and Communications Office is a newly established office dedicated to external, internal and digital communications related to UN City, One UN, sustainability and the work of all UN organizations present in UN City Campus 1 and 2.
UN City communications are goal oriented and user-centric. The target audiences include but are not limited to private sector, educational facilities, the actively interested general public, organizations and institutions, government agencies, press and UN City staff.
During the spring of 2014, the UNPDC will work on establishing a visitor center in UN City, developing strategic communication plans, and expanding internal and external communication channels. The office works closely together with UN organizations in Denmark, NGO’s and civil society, governmental agencies and other stakeholders.
Description of Tasks
• Monitor Danish and international media for mentions of UN City Copenhagen, UN in Denmark and all other relevant news.
• Update UN.dk in English and Danish
• Coordinate communications between internal and external parties and serve as a ‘point of contact’ for requests for information on UN City
• Monitor and run UN City social media presence Filing documents and compiling data
• Preparing PowerPoint presentations, briefings on UN City
• Set up and give guided tours and lectures to a range of different groups
• Create publications/information materials for UN City
• Write briefs, prepare agendas and provide other meeting/conference support with various stakeholders
• Support outreach activities with private sector, government agencies and foundations
• Translate and distribute corporate updates, statements and press-releases through national media outlets and write executive summaries on relevant documents and reports
• Cooperate on various campaigns and outreach activities, including joint activities with UN organizations
• Any other duties as required
The aim of the internship will be to enhance the theoretical knowledge of the intern through substantive and operational engagement with communication practices and policies of the organization.
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. The following minimum qualifications are required:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in Danish and English
• Demonstrated interest in the field of communications and/or international diplomacy or relations
• Web management skills, experience with CMS
• Photo management skills/graphic design experience are considered an asset
• Applications must be enrolled in a full-time university degree program in a graduate school (Master’s or equivalent) at the time of application and during the duration of the internship
• Applicants must demonstrate a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the UN Charter
UNPDC does not pay for internships. The costs associated with the latter must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation etc.
This full-time internship will commence in January/February of 2014 and last six months. Depending on the intern’s university, ECTS/credits may be possible.
Please send your resume and cover letter to the below no later than 15th of January 2014. Please indicate in your cover letter:
- Your motivation
- Your ability over the period
- Any relevant work experience
Note: When short listing for this position, priority will be given to those candidates that are residing within commuting distance to our office: Marmorvej 51, 2100 Copenhagen. Selected candidate will be required to produce a No Objection Letter from their education institution before the internship can commence.